Monday, July 18, 2011

Too fucking crazy to count as politics

I have done a few blogs on the insanity that is the extreme right generally and on the insanity that has infected the New Zealand version of the Republicans, ACT. In NZ we are blessed with the brilliant Danyl who runs the Dim-Post blog and daily manages to crack me up. I never read his blog with  anything in my mouth anyway he follows up on an ACT staffer who had a melt down a couple of weeks ago and got the boot, John Ansell.


" Via Blair McCarthy on Twitter, John Ansell’s letter to the Dom-Post endorsing Judith Collins as leader of the National Party, reproduced in full, because what would you cut out?
I quite agree with Vipi Gregory- Meredith (Letters, July 14) that former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher had the courage of her convictions. She was the role model for all conviction politicians (and conviction copywriters, for that matter).
But I don’t agree that she was a woman. Mrs Thatcher was, in fact, the greatest male politician of recent times and possibly the greatest politician, period. (Or should I say full stop, lest I suffer further odious comparisons with former Employers & Manufacturers Association (Northern) chief executive Alasdair Thompson.)
And just as Maggie was a great bloke, Prime Minister John Key is undoubtedly one of the weakest of female politicians, with his readiness to put popularity before all those boring “economicky” things, such as catching up with Australia and slamming the anchors on New Zealand’s voyage to the bottom of the OECD.
As people can see, my gender definitions differ from many. I generalise for effect, and there are always exceptions.
On the same note, the strongest man in National’s caucus is undoubtedly Judith “Crusher” Collins. The sooner she takes over the leadership the better. "
JOHN ANSELL


Oh and I love his final observation.

" If Collins ever becomes National leader I’ll join the Labour Party and volunteer for them. Leafleting. Door-knocking. Anything."


I suspect Danyl is like me on the centre left and shares my contempt  for the Labour Party in New Zealand because they are a bunch of bloody incompetents. Ansell is a sexist  fool, but reading through the comments I discovered this.


"It is highly amusing how he use gender as proxy for qualities he likes/dislike rather than actually describing the actual qualities he likes in people. I wonder if he goes about his day identifying everyday objects as being male and female. V8s, obviously male. Meat, male as well. Veges, female, no doubt. I am aware that some European languages attach gender to many nouns, but I’m sure he will attach gender to objects based entirely based on what he likes/dislikes. Everything that is good must be male, of course.
It seems to be the weird “manliness is good, if you eat/drink/buy this you are manly” advertising meme taken to a whole new level. Never quite understood how that approach actually works. But maybe us males really are that naive and shallow. :)
Comment by wtl — July 19, 2011 @ 5:57 pm"


Another fantastic piss take. I am not great at satire so confined myself to this


  1. " I take your point but Ansell obviously didn’t read this.
    Comment by IHStewart — July 19, 2011 @ 6:00 pm"

Danyl  is, probably unintentionally a comic genius.

Hat-tip Dim-Post



No comments:

Post a Comment